first impressions of Red Hat 6.0

I managed to burn a CD of Red Hat 6.0 at work on Friday.  Friday night
I started to install packages from it, and I managed to render my
system completely unusable.  I continued (thank heavens for sash and
statically linked rpm), and figured out that installing the
compat-glibc (and probably the compat-libs) rpm is a Bad Thing, at
least on my system.  YMMV.  Oddly enough, it looks like all my stuff
that is linked against glibc 2.0 works just fine with only glibc 2.1
installed.  (I would imagine that doing a proper upgrade would
eliminate all these headaches, but I appear to enjoy doing things the
hard way.)

So I finally got a booting, working system again.  Since RH6 installs
the latest version of perl (5.005_03), I had to reinstall all of my
perl modules (or at least the ones I can't live without, like Tk).  I
was a little worried about egcs-1.1.2, which is *all* that RH6 comes
with, but it seems to work quite well.

So then I started up X.  I had one little problem...  I had defined
KDEDIR in /etc/profile quite some time back, and that now pointed to a
non-existant directory.  Removing that let KDE start up.  For whatever
reason, KDE came up as the default desktop.  I don't know if it will
do that for everyone, or if the scripts were smart enough to notice
that I hadn't installed all of the GNOME stuff at that point.

After installing all of the GNOME stuff, plus all of the other rpms
that I'd missed, I decided to start playing with my desktop.  I'm now
running a rather frightening setup, all with the stuff that comes with
RH6.  I'm using WindowMaker as my window manager, but I'm running the
KDE panel (on autohide along the bottom), *and* the GNOME panel (on
autohide, set to a corner panel along the right).  It's crazy, but I
think I like this setup.  :-)  (I'd be afraid to see how much memory
I'm chewing up with all of this...  :)

Anyway, I've been running like this for a day now, and everything
appears to be stable.  So far nothing (not even netscape!) has crashed
on me.

BTW, q3test for Linux is out.

    http://www.quake3arena.com/

It's weird (especially that second test map), but I think I like it.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month