Re: Video Capture.

Tesla Coil wrote:

> On 29 Apr 1999, John Corey wrote:
>
> > On another note, I recently picked up a video capture card.  I've
> > seen plenty of TV watching/capturing programs, which is nice.
>
> Really, which one?  I've been curious about this.  Believe it or not,
> there is now a video capture card designed specifically for Linux:
> http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/

A Hauppauge WinTV with FM radio.  It uses a bt878 chipset.  I have only
used it on a Win9x system so far, just testing how useful it is.  The
Linux kernel has the drivers for the bt848, so who knows how well this
one would work with it.

The major annoyance with it (aside from using it in Windows :)) is that
it only captures to AVI files, which cannot be more than 2 gigs.  That
comes out to about 5 minutes worth of 30fps video.  So there's a lot of
stopping, compress to mpeg (2g avi turns into about 50mb of mpeg),
repeat.

Those $2-300 mpeg capturing boards are looking nicer, just to avoid the
hassles.  If I can get either system to make VideoCDs reliably, I may
have to spring for one.

> > But, are there any programs that can burn a VideoCD?  Google
> > isn't helping, everything's either in a foreign language or about
> > VideoCD players.
>
> I believe VideoCD is just MPEG1 arranged on the disk in a certain way.
> Video capture output is typically M-JPEG or AVI, so it has to be run
> through conversion software.  Once we get to details on arranging the
> data on the disk--I stop pretending to know.  Hafta look around...

I think I remember reading a web page talking about what directories it
stores the mpegs and such.  But I think it said the audio is on a
separate track.  Which I'd have to somehow find a way of ripping the
audio out of AVI/MPEG files.

I found an mpeg encoder for Linux, but it wants the input files in a YUV
format, anyone heard of it or know of any programs that convert to it?