Re: DVORAK and ro

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> Cloudmaster said:
> > I've got a user that wants to use a dvorak key mapping (under X).  I can't
> Save the stuff at the end of this message to a file, then use "xmodmap
Thanks.

> > Also, I wanna set up a system that mounts all filesystems as read-only.  For
> > some reason, this appears to cause all sorts of problems.  Anyone know of a
> > good reference to look at that would explain stuff related to booting?
>
> Maybe you should see how the Linux router people are handling that
> sort of thing.

Do you guys know of any floppy-based distribs that include perl?

> > Alternatively, does anyone know of a way to start a clean shutdown whenever
> > a power source goes away?  Like, if I had a power inverter hooked up to a
> > constant 12V source, and wanted the machine to start up whenever I turn on
> > the car and then shut down neatly when I turn the car off?  Maybe even
> > switching off a latching relay on succesful shutdown and switching on said
> > relay when 12V is again applied at the turn of a key?  Just as an example...
>
> Sounds like you need a small UPS with a serial connector.

I was loking for a solution that would be easier to make with a soldering
iron and keyboard than with a credit card, but that does sound reasonable.
I'm considering runing one of the UPS daemons and just sending a power-off
message to the serial port (it's usualy just a given pin that goes from high
to low, IIRC).  I'll have to switch to an ATX power supply then and do
something that'll both send a pulse to the power-on on the motherboard when
power's applied to the ignition.  It ends up that I'd need like a starter
switch kind of thing because I want the power inverter to come on when the
ignition is turned on, and I want the power inverter to remain powered until
the computer is completely shut down (or at least the disks are unmounted
cleanly).  Mounting everything read-only would prolly be easier...  If I had
room under the dash for a UPS, that'd be great though.  Did you have a
specific UPS that is real small and has a linux-able serial control port in
mind?

--Danny