From: Tesla Coil <tescoil@rtpro.net>
To: luci-discuss@luci.org
Subject: Re: Modem Problems
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:26:53 -0500

On 29 Apr 1999 Justin Rolando wrote:

 >> I a, having this small problem getting my modem online.
 >> It don't work lol. I get the text modem is busy. I am runnign
 >> Caldera2.2 and using a Zoom 56K-PCI modem.

Same day, Steven Pritchard replied:

 > As far as I know, Linux doesn't support any of the PCI modems.  They
 > all are either Winmodems (just a DSP with a driver that does all the
 > real work in software), or they use chipsets that no documentation has
 > been released for.  If you want a modem that you can be sure will
 > work, get an external modem, or an ISA modem that you are sure is
 > *not* a Winmodem.

There are PCI modems that are not Winmodems, but they are quite rare
and unconfirmed.  On an internal modem, you want not only an ISA slot
but jumpered IRQs--then virtually guaranteed to work.

A worthy project to document which are which:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html