Re: ethernet probs

--Damacus-- said:
> I'm not sure, but I think Linus is waiting for better (full?) SMP support
> before branching off to 2.3.x.

Linus says he's waiting for the distribution vendors to catch up.
Right now, a relatively small percentage of Linux users are on 2.2.x,
since the distributions are just now coming out with distributions
based on 2.2.x.  That means that in the next couple of months, there
will be a *lot* more people jumping onto 2.2.x, which will probably
expose a lot more bugs.  When things quiet down from that, he'll start
the 2.3.x branch.

2.3.x should be fun.  I have a feeling Linus will try to keep a little
more control of it than 2.1.x, so that 2.4.x (or whatever he decides
to call it) is available in a year or so, rather than having a 2-3
year development cycle.  Expect to see large (>2GB) file support,
large (>2GB again) memory support on x86, and other such interesting
features very early on in the 2.3.x cycle.

BTW, don't believe for a minute all this crap about Linux not doing
SMP very well.  I haven't run Linux on anything better than a dual,
but on a dual 2.2.x *screams*.  I'd expect quads to perform well.
Beyond that might be questionable.  For comparison, in my experience
vanilla NT 4 feels slower on a quad than on a dual.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month