Re: Generic XF86Config

Jeff Licquia said:
> You might want to look at the VGA16 X server.  It sets up an old-style
> IBM VGA setup (640x480x16).  That's what XF86Setup uses to get X
> started in an unconfigured state.
>
> Either that, or if you want to assume that the hardware isn't too old,
> you could set up the SVGA server in a VESA-standard mode.  I'd imagine
> 16-bit color on 640x480 would be safe, or 800x600.

Or you could go a step further and just do a 2.2.x kernel with fbcon,
then use XF86_FBDev.  That would let you use any VESA mode, at least
on cards that do VESA right.  (That *should* be the vast majority of
cards.)

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, XF86_SVGA will only drive the subset of
cards that it knows about.  While that's certainly a lot of cards, it
isn't all of them.  Also, using fbcon has the advantage of being
portable to non-x86 systems.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month