Re: Generic XF86Config

On 24 Apr, Mark Blunier wrote:

> I've developed my live cd scripts a little further, and can boot off a
> CD.  Since I'll be using CD on different systems, and I may not know
> what kind of video card the machines may have, I was hoping to find
> either a generic XF86config that will run an SVGA screen in at least
> 640x480 resolution, or some scripts that will figure out a setup.
>
> Any suggestions on where to look?

You might want to look at the VGA16 X server.  It sets up an old-style
IBM VGA setup (640x480x16).  That's what XF86Setup uses to get X
started in an unconfigured state.

Either that, or if you want to assume that the hardware isn't too old,
you could set up the SVGA server in a VESA-standard mode.  I'd imagine
16-bit color on 640x480 would be safe, or 800x600.

You might also want to see what "X -probeonly" tells you, and if that
would help in autodetecting.  Make sure that you move a good XF86Config
file out of the way first.