ethernet probs

I've got a 3-com 3c590 (vortex) in my friendly PPro running kernel 2.2.6.
Whenever I try to send a lot of data out quickly (such as moving a few real
big files around my internal network), I get a whole slew of collisions and
eventually the card craps out, leaving messages such as this:

Apr 25 12:51:51 cloud233 kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 90.
Apr 25 12:51:51 cloud233 kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register d0.
Apr 25 12:51:51 cloud233 kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register d0.
Apr 25 12:51:58 cloud233 kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e 000.

and then it repeats that last line a few times, and all the network services
start dying and such as a result of the net going away.  Obviously, this
sucks.  As much as I'd like to bame this on the win98 machine on the network
(called "stain" for a reason), I think there may be some problem with the
linux end.  I also think that being on a hub rather than a switch
contributes, but I know that's not the whole problem.

Anyway, if you folks have any idea what may be causing this, I'd sure like
to hear it.  The mobile mp3 player will be wanting some files sent to it
pretty soon, and I don't wanna dissapoint it. :)

--Danny