Re: [LUNI] Bunk???

Tesla Coil wrote:

> Kara Pritchard wrote:
>
> > The full report, including all of the details needed to reproduce
> > the tests, is on Mindcraft's Web site at:
> >
> > http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html.
>
> "Mindcraft, Inc. conducted the performance tests described in this
> report between March 10 and March 13, 1999.  Microsoft Corporation
> sponsored the testing reported herein."
>
> I see little need for detailed rebuttal...

I did some searches around for Mindcraft material and came into a
rebuttal Novell posted about a similar "study" that proclaimed NT was
several magnitudes time better than Novell.  Just about everything
Novell said could apply just as well to this one as well.  The poor
configuration, modifying registry and such to optimize everything and
not doing the same for Linux/Novell, etc.  The posts they said they sent
to newsgroups (three newsgroups, the same message) was so full of errors
(like using apache 2.0.3), and lacked any useful information (basically
just, "It doesn't work right, what do I do?") that it was ignored by
all.  You'd think a company that could afford a 4xXeon, 1G RAM, etc
machine could afford a mediocre Linux admin.  But that assumes they
bought the machine, instead of MS buying it for 'em. :)

If you pay enough money, you can get any survey to have the results you
want.