ethernet cards

I think someone might have brought this up at the last meeting, but I'm
curious so I'll ask again.

My ethernet card (it's a Linksys Tulip-based) seems to be working fine
for awhile, then all of a sudden the card gets incredibly slow for no
reason.  One minute I'll ping another machine in 0.5ms, then it's 2000ms.
Ouch.  I might just be imagining this part, but it seems like it happens
whenever I try to transfer a screenful or more of text.  Taking the device
down with ifconfig and then bringing it right back up seems to fix the
problem.  Anyone have any ideas?

On a different machine with the same type of card I keep getting this in
my logs:

Apr  7 13:47:07 demeter kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to
	half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
Apr  7 13:49:07 demeter kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to
	half-duplex, CSR6 812e0000.
Apr  7 13:50:07 demeter kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to
	half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
Apr  7 13:51:07 demeter kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to
	half-duplex, CSR6 812e0000.
Apr  7 13:52:07 demeter kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to
	half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
Apr  7 13:55:07 demeter kernel: eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to
	half-duplex, CSR6 812e0000.

As you can see, it happens every minute or two.  Anyone know what it
means?

Huzzah!