Re: power supply mods

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Tesla Coil wrote:
> Cloudmaster wrote:
>
> > Do any of you have experience with modifying a PC power supply (or building
> > one from scratch) to run a motherboard off of 12 (actually 10-14.4) volts?
> There was a crosspost on this topic to alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt
> and alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt initiated by Baldur Gislason on 24 Feb
> under the title "12vdc drive power supply??"  Probably not precisely what
> you're looking for, but the title will find the thread on a newsgroup search
> via http://www.go2net.com

Not exactly what I needed, but got me pointed in the right direction.
Apparently all I need it the +5 and +12 V lines connected to the MB, and I
can get that working on my own.  BTW, I found these really neat little
biscuit PC's from advantech (www.advantech.com) last night too - they look
like they'll fit real well into my in-car application...  This is prolly old
hat to a few of you, but I'm pretty impressed with a socket 7 machine with
ethernet, sound, video, 72-pin SIMMs, 4 serial, 2 parallel, 1 EIDE channel,
floppy control, keyboard, USB, and a PCI slot all in a 5.25" form factor. :)
Pretty near as cool as a netwinder, IMHO (if they had a cute case as well,
they'd be there). Now if I could just find a price...

--Danny