Re: problems authenticating for pop3

charles@lunargraphics.net wrote:

> > Are you truly shadowed?
> >

>         That is a good question. I ran pwconv, and that was the extent of
>         it. I took a look at /etc/shadow, and frankly, it just doesnt look
>         right to me. How can I check to make sure?

E-mail the shadow file to the list, and we'll check it out. :-) ;-> ;-D

(I wonder if it would be safe.  Any cyberterrorists out there?)

The best way to check if /etc/shadow is cool is by looking at /etc/passwd.  All
of the password fields should be disabled in some way.  If that's true,
/etc/shadow exists, and you can still log in, then shadow support is OK.

My thought was that you weren't shadowed, but the POP3 PAM files thought you
were.