Re: one last mail related question...

> Chuck:
>
> > to allow pop3 on redhat, you use the imap daemon correct?
>
> I don't use RedHat and I've never touched imap, but to rush in like a
> complete idiot, pop3 and imap are generally exclusive of one another,
> aren't they? For instance, when you configure a mail server using
> Netscape's Messenger, you have to pick whether it's pop3 or imap. So, even
> though I don't use RedHat, I find it hard to believe that you'd use an
> imap daemon to allow pop3. Why can't Sendmail do this?

	well, sendmail doesnt generally do pop3, its just acts as
	an smtp agent.

> > i have mine installed, and a quick netstat -na | grep -i listen show that
> > port 110 is there answering the calls
>
> I think imap should be at port 143 or 220, not 110 (which is for pop3).
> Check /etc/services .

	its tcp 143. I was just saying that the machine is listening
	on 110, which would indicate to me that *something* is there.

> What do you have for pop3 and imap in /etc/inetd.conf ?

	just the standard in.pop3d, which, like I was saying,
	i don't believe is used with RH. actually, for the
	slack box we use, we actually use qpopper as well
	rather than in.pop3d

> > or do i need to go in and edit the .cf by hand?
>
> What's wrong with doing that?

	well, nothing in theory, but its just one of those
	circumstances where, if I ever were to want to replicate
	this cf file in the future, and it happens to be the
	*distant* future, I would rather not go through the
	process of having to remember "now, what did i do when
	procmail wasnt working correctly?"