sendmail question of the day

Hi all!

here's today's question.

I have sendmail running (8.9.3), however its running with difficulties.
Actually, I guess I should say difficulty. It can't accept mail locally. I
can send mail from this machine to anyplace *but* this local domain, and
no mail can be recieved from the outside world, however, mail can be sent
without problems to any valid internet domain.

I have checked the MX records for the local machine's domain, and they are
set up correctly. The machine's reverse lookup on its ip matches its
forward lookup. It has an entry for itself in its sendmail.cw file.

Here is what i get when i check the mailq:

[root@cjm /etc]# mailq
                Mail Queue (8 requests)
--Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time-----
------------Sender/Recipient------------
XAA00742        1 Mon Mar 29 23:02 <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
                 (Operating system error)
                                   <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
WAA00337        1 Mon Mar 29 22:44 <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
                 (alias database unavailable)
                                   <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
WAA00364        1 Mon Mar 29 22:46 <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
WAA00435      149 Mon Mar 29 22:36 <charles@lunargraphics.net>
WAA00437      179 Mon Mar 29 22:36 <charles@lunargraphics.net>
WAA00518        1 Mon Mar 29 22:12 <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
WAA00322        1 Mon Mar 29 22:23 <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>
WAA00512       82 Mon Mar 29 22:12 <charles@lunargraphics.net>
                 (alias database unavailable)
                                   <charles@cjm.lunargraphics.net>

Seeing the alias error, I checked and sure enough, there was no aliases
file in /etc/. I added the file, ran newaliases. Then I recieved the OS
error. The aliases file is pretty generic:

bin:            root
daemon:         root
games:          root
ingres:         root
nobody:         root
system:         root
toor:           root
uucp:           root

# Well-known aliases.
manager:        root
dumper:         root
operator:       root

# trap decode to catch security attacks
decode:         root

The .mc used to create sendmail.cf is a bit more customized, but nothing
that I havent used before someplace where its working in prodcution:

OSTYPE(linux)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
FEATURE(redirect)
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(rbl)
FEATURE(access_db)dnl
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(use_cw_file)
FEATURE(virtusertable)dnl
iHSubject: $>Check_Subject
D{MPat}Important Message From
D{MMsg}This message may contain the Melissa virus.

SCheck_Subject
R${MPat} $*     $#error $: 553 ${MMsg}
RRe: ${MPat} $* $#error $: 553 ${MMsg}

So, I am kinda at a loss here. It seems like sendmail is working, but just
not for local stuff. Any thoughts?

Thanks, i really appreciate it.
cjm