Help!

I have a linux LAN. I am running Red Hat Linux version 5.2. Kernel
2.2.36. Yes, I know it's old but I am a newbie and havn't gotten
there yet. Anyway. I am using fgi.net as my ISP. One of my computers
can
log in and use the net perfectly but the other computer has one
problem.
I just don't know how to fix it. Everytime I dial my modem. I get the
carrier and all that stuff but I can't keep the connection. I looked
in my /var/log/messages file and got the following:

connection terminated
Recieve serial link is not 8-bit clean:
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Exit.

 what does this mean, and how can it be fixed?

 thanx in advance

     Travis