Re: hi

Mike Gatton wrote:

> >Check your sendmail config, specifically /etc/mail/*_allow.  Recent sendmail
> >doesn't relay by default; you have to tell it when you want it to relay
> and who
> >you want it to relay for.  This is for spam prevention.
> >
> 1) I dont have a mail subdirectory under etc...
> 2) find -name *allow* does not yield any mail related files....
> 3) The message is CONNECTION REFUSED..
>      if I try to telnet into the host.. ie..      host:25    it appears to
> connect then disconnect as quick as it connected. No text received, no
> error message, just CONNECTION LOST... When I run netutil (a windows
> program) it responds that SMTP is detected on the [linux] host.

Hmm...  That's a tough one.

First, check to make sure that mail isn't enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.  Look for a
line like:

#smtp stream  tcp  nowait  root    /usr/bin/smtpd smtpd

If the leading hash is missing, then SMTP is enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.  You
want it disabled.

Check to make sure that you're running a sendmail daemon.  You should have
something like this in your process list:  (from ps -ax)

  378  ?  S    0:01 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25

If this is missing, you won't be able to send that E-mail.  Check the Caldera
docs for information on how to enable sendmail.

Then try this at a shell prompt on the Linux box:

telnet localhost 25

If you get a "Connection refused", then you've got something wrong.  At this
point, it could be lots of things.  Check your general networking setup.

If that works, then try the same thing from another box.

At any rate, let us know what works.  If you're able to get it working after
this, cool.  If not, we'll see if we can help.