Re: migration

charles@lunargraphics.net wrote:

> what would be the most painless, and transparent method to move a
> production machine running a non-rpm based linux distribution over to
> redhat?

From an administration standpoint, moving to something like SuSE from
slackware would be less of a change than moving to redhat, IMHO.  But since
you apparently wanna go redhat, I'm gonna agree with Kara in saying that
setting up a second box and then just swapping them would be easiest, and
would cause the least amount o' downtime.  The only other option I can see
is nuking the existing box and installing redhat new, but that's not a
terribly transparent idea.

> can you select the upgrade option when booting from the redhat bootdisk?

That'll basically check to see which rpm's are newer than the ones on your
system.  Non-rpm based systems typically wouldn't mix well with this
procedure. :)

> also, how can it be done remotely?

Since that'll involve replacing core components of the system with RPM'd
versions, and thus rebooting at least once without knowing for sure it'll
come back up - you prolly wanna be sitting at the console for the bulk of
it.

Danny, who only had to change /dev/cuaX to /dev/ttySX in a config file to
get kernel 2.2.x to work on his SuSE 5.3 box