Re: hi

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Chris Maple wrote:
...snip...
> > oh and by the way...any one know of any where I can get drivers/software
> > for an HP CD-Write Pluse cdrom writer?
>
> For regular CD stuff, it should just work like any other CD.
>
> For CD writing, you'll want to install cdrecord and mkisofs.  I've also
> heard that X-CD-Roast is a good package; it's a GUI front end to cdrecord
> and mkisofs.
...snip...

I've been extremely unimpressed by x-cdroast.  If you only wanna copy one
directory over, and don't wanna do anything fancy like keeping long file
names or changing permissions to logical CD values, it'd be fine.  But
you've gotta read the man page for mkisofs and cdrecord in order to know
what arguments to type into xcdroast, and it doesn't allow you to browse to
multiple directories, which means you've gotta type them in manually as
well.  All of which pretty much cancels out the benefits of having a GUI in
the first place (since it makes it harder than the command line in all of
my burning situations).  I guess I should wrote a little tcl/tk front end
myself, 'cause it couldn't be too hard - but that's not gonna happen until
all the other projects that are relevant are done. :)

> To do this, make sure you support IDE-SCSI emulation.
...snip...
> After you get the kernel going, add an append line to LILO with this kernel
> argument:
>
>   hdx=ide-scsi
>
> Make the "x" into the right letter for your CD drive.  After that, the CD-R
> will actually appear on /dev/scd0, and act in all respects like a SCSI
> drive.  You can't access the old IDE device with emulation on, but
> everything works fine accessing it as SCSI.
...snip...

How does this affect current SCSI CD-ROM's?  Do the IDE drives or the
gennie SCSI drives get assigned the first numbers?

--Danny