udp port syslog unreachable

Hi, everyone. I am seeing the following erro when checking traffic coming
to a machine from a remote nas server. it looks like the nas is sending
the syslog updates on udp 514, but the linux machine is listening on tcp
514. i am pretty new to syslogd, so I am uncertain really where it should
be listening.

<error picked up>
21:01:43.649235 host.domain.com > nas-server: icmp: host.domain.com
udp port syslog unreachable [tos 0xc0]

Sure enough on this machine, syslogd is running, and
netstat -na | grep 514 reveals that :

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:514             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

thanks!
cjm