Re: hi

Chris Maple wrote:

> hi guys sorry you havn't heard from me in a long time

You mean... like me? :-)

> oh and by the way...any one know of any where I can get drivers/software
> for an HP CD-Write Pluse cdrom writer?

For regular CD stuff, it should just work like any other CD.

For CD writing, you'll want to install cdrecord and mkisofs.  I've also
heard that X-CD-Roast is a good package; it's a GUI front end to cdrecord
and mkisofs.  If it's SCSI, then you're all set.  If not, you'll also need
to configure IDE-SCSI emulation.

To do this, make sure you support IDE-SCSI emulation.  It's not turned on
in many stock kernels (including Red Hat's).  Make sure you answer Y to
"SCSI Emulation support" in the block devices section (right where it asks
about other IDE devices).  You also need SCSI CD-ROM support and SCSI
generic support.  IMHO, compiling SCSI emulation as a module is a bad idea,
since it's a lot more complicated to keep your CD working.

After you get the kernel going, add an append line to LILO with this kernel
argument:

  hdx=ide-scsi

Make the "x" into the right letter for your CD drive.  After that, the CD-R
will actually appear on /dev/scd0, and act in all respects like a SCSI
drive.  You can't access the old IDE device with emulation on, but
everything works fine accessing it as SCSI.

There's a CD-Writing HOWTO.  If you have the HOWTOs installed locally, it's
there.  If not, check the LDP (or our own mirror:
http://www.luci.org/LDP/).  Basically, the process after getting your
device working is to create a directory tree with the intended contents of
the CD, write that to an image file, and then burn the image onto the CD.