Re: Self Inflicted Baldness

Mike Gatton wrote:

> OK!!! I am still having some *strange* problems...
> 1) The Linux box is up and allowing access to the internet (sort of)
> 2) I can ping *some* addresses from a workstation on the net.
>
> First, some that ping ok..
>
> www.luci.org  --  pings fine
> www.fginet.com -- pings fine
> www.bo-jac.com -- pings fine
> www.tucows.com -- pings fine
>
> www.hotmail.com -- returns the IP address (correctly, but times out)
>
> www.frontiernet.net -- reports unknown host (this is my ISP)
>                        and it pings ok from the Linux box
>
> www.flashmail.com   -- reports unknown host (where my eMail account is
> www.microsoft.com   -- reports unknown host (thought would be good to
>                        try this one)
>
> I don't understand why, if I can ping *some* sites, why can't I ping all
> sites... They ping ok from the Linux server???
>
> Anyone seen this before? possible timing problem? if so, where do I make
> the changes... 'preciate any help

From my computer, hotmail and microsoft don't respond to pings.  This is
most likely just how they have their network set up.  Pings aren't
important, and can cause headaches, so some admins just disable it
completely.

As for the unknown host errors, that is all related to your name
server.  If you use your ISP's name server, then it's their fault.
Something I've done a few times was to scout for other name servers at
area ISPs.  Up here, there's a few that just stick "ns" to the domain
name (ie ns.isp.com).  Then issue a nslookup to see if you can look up
the addresses through their name server (nslookup www.microsoft.com
ns.isp.com).  If it works fine there, but fails for your name server,
talk to whoever is in charge about fixing it.