Self Inflicted Baldness

OK!!! I am still having some *strange* problems...
1) The Linux box is up and allowing access to the internet (sort of)
2) I can ping *some* addresses from a workstation on the net.

First, some that ping ok..

www.luci.org  --  pings fine
www.fginet.com -- pings fine
www.bo-jac.com -- pings fine
www.tucows.com -- pings fine

www.hotmail.com -- returns the IP address (correctly, but times out)

www.frontiernet.net -- reports unknown host (this is my ISP)
                       and it pings ok from the Linux box

www.flashmail.com   -- reports unknown host (where my eMail account is
www.microsoft.com   -- reports unknown host (thought would be good to
                       try this one)

I don't understand why, if I can ping *some* sites, why can't I ping all
sites... They ping ok from the Linux server???

Anyone seen this before? possible timing problem? if so, where do I make
the changes... 'preciate any help

(Still aint got subscribed to luci-discuss on my new eMail address of
jorj@flashmail.com   - & wont be able to send mail from there until I
can get some @@%$#@ smtp working)