Re: module config

cloudmaster said:
> Hey, does anyone remeber offhand (or in some other way) what that command
> you use to generate /etc/modules.conf is?  The thing where you run a
> program with mod in it's name and redirect it to a file...

I think you are getting a few things confused.

To have modules working well with 2.2 (the configuration for 2.0 is
similar, but a bit different), you need a setup like this:

    * /etc/conf.modules needs to look something like this:

# For certain (old) a.out binaries.
alias binfmt-0064 binfmt_aout

# Put the name of your ethernet card here if the driver is a module.
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
# If you have an ISA card, you'll need to do something like this:
# alias eth0 ne
#options ne irq=9 io=0x340

# If you want to force loading ppp0 to load bsd_comp, use a line like
# this.  (In all honesty, I'm not sure this still works.  :)
#alias ppp0 bsd_comp

# Something like this is required for printer support in 2.0.
#options lp io=0x378 irq=7

# This is required for printer support in 2.2.
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

# Something like the following is required for sound support.
alias char-major-14 cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
alias char-major-67 coda

#### End

    * Make sure "depmod -a" is run.

If you have your kernel compiled with kmod support, that should be all
there is to it.  (On 2.0.x, your kernel has to be compiled with
kerneld support, and you have to start up kerneld.)

Oh, BTW, note that (unlike kerneld) kmod only loads modules.  If you
want unused modules to unload, you'll need to do a "rmmod -a"
occasionally from cron or something.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month