Re: Zip drive

Randy Heiland wrote:

> Warning - I'm a fairly new & naive user of both PCs and Linux...
>
> I have a Dell (NT) and am running Redhat 5.1 Linux.
> Things are working pretty well, but now I'd like to figure out how to use
> the internal Iomega Zip drive (ATAPI, I guess) from Linux.  I should say that
> the PC has an internal CD drive and an internal floppy drive too.
>
> Here's a portion of my /var/log/messages, which makes me suspect some
> hardware problem (IRQ?):
>
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel: hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100, 96MB w/16kB
> > Cache, CHS=512/12/32
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel: ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on
>
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel:  hdd:hdd: irq timeout: status=0x50 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete }
>
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel: SB 3.1 detected OK (220)
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel: Sound: IRQ2 already in use
> > Jan 30 16:53:57 localhost kernel: sb: Can't allocate IRQ2
>
> Someone else advised me to create an approp subdir under /mnt, and mount
> the drive manually, which I did:
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /mnt/zipdrive

You wanna
	mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/zipdrive
substituting whatever point you want it mounted for "/mnt/zipdrive".  A
mountpoint is just a directory, so you just need a directory somewhere
logical to mount it (/mnt/zipdrive is fine, I just thought I'd mention
that).

You may need to compile the kernel support for removable ATAPI drives as
either a module or into the kernel if you don't already have it and it's
not auto-loading.  If mount's still not working, I'd try that...

> Warning- I wouldn't know an IRQ or a BIOS if it bit me.  Nor do I know what
> kernel I'm running (how do I find that out?)

kernel version can be foundby doing any of these (and prolly more)
	cat /proc/version
	finger @localhost
	uname -r
BTW, uname -a gives more happy system info, but -r is just the version.

--Danny, hoping he helped