Re: X fonts and gcc?

"Burke, Jason" wrote:

> 1.) Fonts! Fonts! Fonts! I can't seem to find suitable fonts for
> Netscape
> communicator. The only real problem is that the small font is very
> difficult
> to read. This problem was lessened when I switched from KDE to Window
> Maker, but it's still there (more or less). Will a True Type font server
> take
> care of this? and if so, how do you install a font server and fonts? or,
> is
> there a better set of X fonts that will take care of this?

You probably want a TrueType font server, to start out.  For now, there's
xfstt and xfsft.  I'm currently using the former, but the latter is
reported to have a better font renderer (the FreeType engine) which will be
the basis for the native TrueType font support in XFree86 4.0.  So, make
sure you're running XFree86 3.3.3.1 (there are some bugs in font server
support in previous versions), and go to www.freetype.org for all the links
you'll need.

Next, you need fonts.  Incredibly, the best source for TrueType fonts for
Linux is... Microsoft!

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

There are other links for fonts from freetype.org, but the link above has
links to download all the standard Windows fonts, as well as a few others.
This should make those Web sites that set their default font to Arial look
really nice.

(They've also got screenshots, if you want to see the result.)

> 2.) GCC Libraries!?!? I can't seem to get my compiler tweaked so that I
> can compile code without any problems.What rpms should be installed
> for GCC, and what do you recommend for libraries and development
> tools? (This one has been a thorn in my side for years, and I still
> can't
> seem to overcome it. I've read the GCC-HOWTO, but to no avail. I guess
> some of these programming issues are beyond me.)

[jeff@server1 rpm]$ rpm -qa | grep devel
rpm-devel-2.5.5-5.2
audiofile-devel-0.1.5-1
fnlib-devel-0.4-1
faces-devel-1.6.1-11
libghttp-devel-0.99.2-1
gnome-core-devel-0.99.3.2-2
freetype-devel-1.1-5
gpm-devel-1.13-8
gdbm-devel-1.7.3-17
gmp-devel-2.0.2-5
libungif-devel-3.0-4
control-center-devel-0.99.3.1-1
libpng-devel-1.0.1-5
ImageMagick-devel-4.1.0-1
libtermcap-devel-2.0.8-10
libxml-devel-0.99.3-1
libjpeg-devel-6b-7
libtiff-devel-3.4-4
esound-devel-0.2.7-1
newt-devel-0.30-2
gnome-games-devel-0.99.3-1
postgresql-devel-6.3.2-10
xpm-devel-3.4j-3
glib-devel-1.1.13-1
cdrecord-devel-1.8a15-2
libgr-devel-2.0.13-13
pilot-link-devel-0.9.0-3
glibc-devel-2.0.7-29
qt-devel-1.40-1rh51
XFree86-devel-3.3.3-1
libstdc++-devel-2.8.0-14
ncurses-devel-4.2-10
readline-devel-2.2.1-1
slang-devel-0.99.38-8
Xaw3d-devel-1.3-17
zlib-devel-1.1.3-2
ORBit-devel-0.3.91-2
lesstif-devel-0.86.0-1
guile-devel-1.2-6
imlib-devel-1.9.2-1
python-devel-1.5.1-5
gnome-objc-devel-0.99.3-1
libgtop-devel-0.99.2-1
gnome-libs-devel-0.99.4-3
gtk+-devel-1.1.13-1

Also add kernel-headers to the list, or provide some source for kernel
headers.

Note also that many of these packages are not part of Red Hat; I've got
them for some experiments I'm doing.

If you've got all these but are still having problems, give us a holler and
maybe we can figure them out.