Re: *STILL* trying to get it to work

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> [sorry for the late reply...]
> Mike Gatton wrote:
> > It's now been seven weeks, and the Linux box I intended to use as a
> > router to the internet *STILL* ain't working.
>
> 2.  Set up squid.  Squid is a Web proxy that speeds up Web access.  Check out
> squid.nlanr.net for more info.  Red Hat ships squid as of rather recently
> (it's in 5.2), and it works out of the box.  Don't know if Caldera does.
>
> I recommend squid even if you also do masquerade, since squid can speed up
> browsing by as much as a factor of two even for single-user dialup, and is
> simply a miracle worker on LANs.

And you also need to check out http://www.taz.net.au/block/index.html as a
friendly helper for your newly installed squid.  Blocking out banner ads is
cool.  Eventually I'll get my redir file up on cloudmaster.ml.org - prolly
after the move to cloudmaster.com (if I ever get off my arse and move
there).

--Danny