Re: boot to a gui?

"Burke, Jason" wrote:

> You need to set your your default runlevel to 5, which will run
> the program xdm and give you a gui login. I don't remember
> which file you need to edit, but every Linux book that I own
> has the instructions to do this in it, so you can probably find
> out the file name in one of yours.

/etc/inittab

There's a line with the word "default".  That's the one to set to 5.  At
least it's 5 on my RedHat.  May differ with other distributions, but
they should have a comment in inittab somewhere to describe what each
run level does.

It's also handy to make sure xdm is running fine before you boot to it.
Run xdm -nodaemon as root from a vt.  Make sure you can log in and
everything.  It may require some tweaking of the config files in
/etc/X11/xdm/.  The man page for xdm details how it uses each of the
files and all.