Re: DNS on local network

Tim Grossner wrote:

> Has anyone set up DNS on a local lan that uses an illegal address network?
>
> I have named running, but nslookup reports back "*** Can't find server
> name for address 192.168.1.1: Non-existent host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available"
>
> resolv.conf looks fine...
>
> I am stumped.

A few things:

 - Make sure the reverse domain is defined and working.
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa should work.

 - I always set up /etc/hosts with all the names and IP addresses of the
local machine for safety's sake.  If you've ever seen sendmail hang the boot
process for minutes at a time, that's the cause of this.  If you do this,
also make sure /etc/host.conf is set up to process the hosts file (it is by
default in most Linux distros).

 - Do you have a forward domain defined locally on your network?  You
should.  If you're on "my.net" (a legit NIC-registered domain) and you name
your internal host "mymachine.my.net" with address 192.168.1.1, you might get
into problems because the forward lookup will fail.  Pick a fake forward
domain to define; I've used the convention of just prepending "internal" to
whatever domain I'm in.  An /etc/hosts set up as above should prevent this
from causing a problem with nslookup, although you might see other problems.