Re: Max Drive size?

"Burke, Jason" wrote:

> Doh!..I stand corrected =).
>
> Anyway, while there's someone listening with more knowledge
> than myself. What is the correct lettering scheme for IDE drives?
>
> Is it (assuming I have 4 disks):
>
> ide1/master = hda
> ide1/slave = hdb
> ide2/master = hdc
> ide2/slave = hdd

Yes, that is correct.  And if one is missing (like you only have
ide1/master and ide2/master, they still are hda and hdc.  The system
doesn't re-letter them to be hda/hdb or anything.  On the other hand,
scsi disk drives do this behavior.  /dev/sda = first scsi hd, sdb =
second, etc.  That got annoying when I removed one of my scsi disks and
everything went out of whack.

One question I had once, how many partitions can a drive (IDE or SCSI)
have?  I know IDE hds can only have 4 primary partitions, but are the
logical partitions in an extended limited?  SCSI I think I read
somewhere can have more primaries, but anyone know how many?

> or:
>
> ide1/master = hda
> ide1/slave = hdc
> ide2/master = hdb