Re: Jeff is famous!

mike packard wrote:

> One thing I always find fascinating in articles about Linux, OSS, and
> non-"professional" software is that there's usually some kind of mention
> about the software being eternally beta or not ready for public release.
> However, I find most of it to be orders of magnitude more stable,
> efficient, and fast than [pick a corporate software giant's product].

That's certainly true.  The guy I was talking to seemed totally dazzled by
this commercial product that Caldera is supposedly coming out with.  Certain
people were hyping it to this guy that this "provides enterprise-level file
systems for Linux".  I tried to counter by talking about some of the cool
stuff they're working on in ext2 - the b-tree directory searching and the
journaling stuff, and especially how all of this fit on top of existing ext2
partitions without reformatting due to the modular architecture of ext2.
You can tell how much of that clue stuck. :-)

OTOH, we've got to pick our battles.  His analysis of Coda was almost
exactly what I gave him, and he printed what I hoped he would - that Linux
is poised to become THE killer enterprise file server, not just matching but
far surpassing NT and NetWare.

> On a somewhat related note, does anyone else have problems with Linux
> Netscape crashing all the time and in general being a bitch to use?  It's
> been that way for several versions.  It's actually brought down my whole
> system several times now.  Ick.

You might be able to tell from my mail headers: I'm running Netscape 4.5
(and I do read my mail with it currently).  I haven't had my system keel
over, but it has crashed on occasion.

Netscape is getting better at supporting Linux since Marc Andressen hopped
on the bandwagon, but they've got a ways to go.  They supply a glibc build
in the unsupported stuff, but that version only has export-quality
encryption, and I need full strength for some of the stuff I do.  Therefore,
I run a libc5 Netscape, and I suspect that's the cause of some of my
problems.  (It's the cause of at least one - bloat!)

I can't remember if Netscape 4.0x that's shipped with Red Hat 5 is
glibc-based.  Can anyone tell me?  ('ldd netscape' should tell you; look for
'libc.so.5' or 'libc.so.6' in the dependency listing.)