Re: STILL trying to get it to work

Mike Gatton wrote:

> Okay... Here's where it all stands.
>
> >From the Linux box:
>
> I Can surf using Netscape.
> I can ping internet sites by either ip number or name.
> I can ping computers on the local network.
>
> Following is a cature of some of what I am seeing on the Linux box.
>
> *** BEGIN CAPTURE ***

[snip]

> ***** END OF CAPTURE ******
>
> -----------------------ON AN ATTACHED WORKSTATION-----------------
> Gateway is set to ip of Linux Box.
> DNS also set to ip of Linux Box.
>
> can ping the Linux box (or any other computer on network)
> cannot ping an internet ip by either ip number or name.
> however, and attempt to do either causes the modem in the Linux box
> to initiate dialing and logging into the ISP.

> Ok, what extremely foolish thing am I overlooking? Anybody???

Some thoughts:

 - You're obviously still using diald's reroute option.  Try adding
"-reroute" to your diald.conf and see if this fixes things.  Remove it if
it doesn't help, though; the manual routing diald will do if necessary will
slow down your performance by quite a bit.

 - The rest of the routing table is a bit weird.  Most things look OK,
except for the first router table entry.  What is "bojac.com"?  And why do
you have a direct route to it, point-to-point style, on the eth0
interface?  Usually, you only see that kind of thing to keep DHCP servers
happy.  (Which may be what this is; I can't tell.)

 - You'll probably do loads better if you use a different subnet to connect
the virtual diald network.  Reusing the subnet on two disconnected networks
is just asking for trouble unless you know what you're doing.  I'd propose
that the sl0 nework (which diald is using) be renumbered to something like
192.168.0.1 <-> 192.168.0.2 (or some such).  Keep eth0 at 192.168.1.x, and
allow ppp0 to auto-configure to the ISP's requirements.

If you're still at a dead end after this, let us know.