Re: OnGoing Problems

Mike Gatton wrote:

> 1) The Mouse. No, I Haven't Tried to make it work at the command prompt
> (I don't know how). The mouse is functioning correctly under windoze
> though, so i rule out having a bad mouse or wrong port.

My guess was that install autodetect didn't figure out what kind of mouse
you had.  I would try reconfiguring the mouse.  Also, if any of your COM
ports are on weird IRQs, you'll have to tell Linux that; this could affect
the mouse as well.

> 2) XF80Setup. According to the documentation, XF80Setup WILL NOT WORK
> with the video card that I am using (I believe it from first hand
> experience).

Ouch.  You'll want to get the X-related HOWTOs and work with them to get
configured.

> 3) The Kernel Version. Sorry I ommitted this critical information in my
> origonal message. It is "Caldera Open Linux Standard" Kernel Version
> 2.0.33 ....

You should probably upgrade your kernel.  Additionally, OpenLinux 1.2
shipped with 2.0.33; you might want to consider upgrading to OpenLinux 1.3.

In a pinch, let me know; I have both OpenLinux Lite 1.3 and a brand-new CD
burner that I just have got to try out... :-)

> 4) Network Card. I downloaded/printed all the specs from their web site
> prior to attempting the install. According to their documentation, the
> only difference between the 905 & the 905B is that the buffer was
> increased from 4KB to 8KB to prevent the overflow problem that was
> occasionally experienced with the older model.

This could be fixed with a kernel/OS upgrade.  Personally, I don't have
much experience with 3Com cards; I prefer to stick to the SMC/WD family of
cards...

> 5) Upgrading to XFree 3.3.3... I have already attempted that. It takes
> hours to download, and each time, I received a corrupt copy.

One tip: Caldera has released XFree86 3.3.3 as an RPM update to OpenLinux
1.3.  You might be able to give it a try even on 1.2.  This would most
likely be MUCH easier to handle than the original source/binaries from
XFree86.  Check their site at www.calderasystems.com.

> My PRIMARY goal with this box is to set it up as an internet proxy
> server to allow all users of our Novell network (4.11 Intranetware) to
> gain access to the internet. All other functions are secondary to be
> used to demonstrate the power of Linux over DOS & Windoze to the people
> with the purse strings. If I can run ONE SPECIFIC dos based program from
> Linux, I can convert all primary software over.. Unfortunately that
> program crashed miserably when run under dosemu. I know that there is a
> unix version of that program, but the people guarding the purse dont see
> the need to purchase it.. I appreciate the extremely quick response I
> received from this group. This makes me feel more comfortable.. PS. Does
> anyone know where I can get a shoebox to save all this hair I've been
> pulling out?

Hey, we can't let an opportunity to advance world domination pass us by,
can we? :-)

We'd sure like to help with any of this if we can.  Can you give us the
details on what package you're trying to run under dosemu?  Have you gotten
to the proxy server setup stage yet?  Need any help?

And you might want to get chummy with some hair restorer... :-)