Re: OnGoing Problems

On 4 Dec 1998, Mike Gatton wrote:

> The Mouse. No, I Haven't Tried to make it work at the command
> prompt  (I don't know how).

You could type mc at the command prompt.  This will put you in Midnight
Commander--one place to see if the mouse works without X--for that
matter, a very nice shell for acquainting yourself with the filesystem.

Somebody correct me if necessary, I've rarely found need for a mouse in
console, but I think you won't see any action without gpm running.  It's
warned that gpm may conflict with your X mousing--I previously ran both
without problems, but in left it out of more recent configurations.  At
word of the warning anyway, this could mean having a mouse in console is
the reason you can't get a mouse in X--interference from gpm.

> Upgrading to XFree 3.3.3... I have already attempted that. It takes
> hours to download, and each time, I received a corrupt copy.

I estimate, however, that upgrading would be The Thing To Do.  Permit
me to certify that you're not downloading any more than necessary:
preinst.sh
postinst.sh
extract
Xbin.tgz
Xdoc.tgz
Xlib.tgz
Xman.tgz
Xset.tgz
XVG16.tgz
XSVGA.tgz
also a copy of release notes, from any Xfree86.org ftp mirror /pub/3.3.3
directory.  Some mirrors have lower traffic than others, but you hafta
check around to see which.  I've done The Motherload with all the stupid
extra toppings ("hey, might as well get the NEW CYRILLIC FONTS while I'm
here, eh?") burdening a 33K modem with simultaneous visits to other web
sites--*that* took a couple hours, the above shouldn't really take long.

As for corrupted files--how precisely does this reveal itself?

> The Kernel Version. Sorry I ommitted this critical information in my
> origonal message. It is "Caldera Open Linux Standard" Kernel Version
> 2.0.33 ....

BTDT.  Pick this up at Springfield's Barnes and Noble by chance?
Noticed that two boxes disappeared within the week after they began
stocking it. Ah, the PPP dialer under X is xisp, which *is* on the
taskbar--easily missed if you don't know to look for it.

3) The Kernel Version. Sorry I ommitted this critical information in my