Re: :-)

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Chris Maple wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to keep myself online with a dialup
> acount
> is there a way to creat a timed ping or something like that?

use cron (man cron for more info)

 export VISUAL=<editor-of-choice>	(default is vi)
 crontab -e

I use this line to ping my ISP's terminal server once every 15 minutes

 type */15 * * * *    /bin/ping duracef.shout.net -c 1 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

Then sit back and enjoy.  If you only want a ping every 5 minutes while
you're online,

 ping duracef.shout.net -i 300 > /dev/null&

and do a "killall ping" to stop it.  The cron job would work in this case as
well, unless you're using diald or somethign similar.

HTH,
Danny