Re: KERNEL Panic!

Laszlo Acs wrote:

> I suddenly had a blowout.
>
> Screen log shows:
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> -/bin/sh: can't open cache '/etc/ld.so.cache'
> hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=16457, sector=16394
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01, sector 16394
> Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 03:01): ext2_read_inode: unable to read
> i-node block - inode=1921, block=8197
>
> What should I do?  Do I have to start all over?  My interpretation of this
> message is that the hard drive apparently has developed a bad block or
> something.  Am I correct?  I have this sinking feeling that I should've
> backed up all that stuff I worked on last night when I was thinking about
> it... but no, it was late... besides, what would happen...  Murphy's Law...

Get that backup - quick!

It certainly sounds like a disk failure of some kind.  Assuming that this isn't
a new drive or something, it seems like age has caught up with you.

But all is not lost - yet.

/etc/ld.so.cache is an important file for the system, but it's a cache file -
just like the name says.  You can rebuild the cache file with a simple "ldconfig
-v".  Be sure to rename (not delete) the old file; it wouldn't do if the system
tried to write the new cache file to the same disk location.

After that, you should be back in business, at least until the next cluster goes
out.  Hopefully the system will give you enough time to get the system backed up
before losing other interesting clusters.