Re: fun dip

Cloudmaster wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > mike packard said:
> > > How does one make their *xterms' backgrounds transparent?
> >
> > Supposedly that's a feature of Eterm (the xterm that is made for
> > Enlightenment).
>
> On a related note, I saw today an "econsole" for windows, which is similar,
> but appears to still blank out the contents of windows behind it and icons.
> A result, I assume, of a lack of double-buffering or something similar, but
> it's still cool to see the background through the DOS-prompt. :)

Eterm has this problem as well.  It (and, I imagine, econsole) fakes
transparency by reading the root window at the coordinates of its own window
and redisplaying that, possibly with shading or other options applied.  Very
cool-looking - until your "transparent" Eterm appears to chomp on other
windows intruding into its space.

Eterm can also set an arbitrary image as the backdrop.