Re: no man

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 charles@lunargraphics.net wrote:

> why is it when attempting to call up some man pages i receive...
>
> sandman:~$ man tail
> line ?/? (END)
>

> it seems hard for me to believe that tail does not have a man page, but
> for tail, and several other commands such as ls, i get the same response.

sauer@cloud233:/home/sauer > man tail
Reformatting tail(1), please wait...
sauer@cloud233:/home/sauer > man ls
Reformatting ls(1), please wait...
Still saving the page, please wait...
sauer@cloud233:/home/sauer >

Yes, there are man pages.  You may have your $MANPATH set up incorectly, or
you might not even have the man pages installed.  There's a package called
"allman" or something similar that's available from a variety of sources,
none of which are coming to mind right now (other than
ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu or something like that) which installs
al teh man pages for a pile of gnu stuff, which you might look into if your
manpath is correct.

--Danny