Re: LUCI via IRC?

Cloudmaster wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, John Corey wrote:
> > Cloudmaster wrote:
> > >
> > > K7 (isn't that AMD's next chip?) is supposed to be capable of SMP with
> > > exisiting MB's. That'll be neat.
> > >

> > Nah.  K7 will use a whole new motherboard (Alpha based).  Since they
> > have to do that, I'd say there's definately a good chance it'll support
> > SMP.  But for that, we'll have to wait a whole nother 6 months (or
> > more).
>
> Aren't they actually pin-compatible with the Alphas?  Sumpin like that.  I
> dunno - I tend to forget things that I hear from people that don't know teh
> whole story... :)

Not exactly, but close.  They will use something that looks (physically)
like the P2 Slot1 CPU encasing, but they will not be compatible with
P2s.

I haven't heard any exact answers, but it's been speculated that if
Compaq/DEC put an Alpha inside one of these cases, it may be able to be
dropped in instead of the K7.  The motherboard chipset is coming from
the Alphas, so everything would seem like it's all set to just plug one
in, and this would be great for AMD as they could poise themselves as
the in-between CPU between P2 and Alpha.  Maybe Compaq's sceptical, but
if the K7s are a great hit, they could be swayed I'm sure.  It's a
win-win situation for both companies that want to gain share from
Intel.  We can only hope they do it.

--
"I previously had IE4/NT4 on the same box and by comparison the
combination of Linux / Navigator ran at least 30-40% faster when