Re: New Applix Release

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> New release of Applixware, Office Suite for Linux! $99 for the full
> version.  Has the Office 97 filters and its own database tool.
>
> Check it out here: http://linuxtoday.com/story.pl?sn=145

FWIW, I've had a copy for about a week.  I had played with the previous
version a bit (4.3.x), and I don't notice any big differences between the
two versions in the main apps themselves (Words, Graphics, Spreadsheets,
etc.).

OTOH, there are some other changes.  Applix Data and Builder are now
included.  Data supports ODBC on Linux, and comes with a driver for MySQL.
I tried to get it to work with the PostgreSQL ODBC driver, but wasn't
successful; YMMV.  I believe it may also come with native Oracle,
Informix, and Sybase support as well.

On the less fun side, it doesn't appear that they ship their TrueType font
server anymore.  That isn't a total disaster, since TrueType font servers
are available from other (open-source) sources.  I could be off on this;
anyone know where they used to install the font server?  They do, though,
include some very nice fonts.

Also, Applix has taken over distribution from Red Hat.  They appear to
want to make deals with all the vendors.  This is good in some ways
(SuSE's "Linux Office" product includes a copy of Applix) and not in
others.  In particular, it is no longer managed via RPMs; now they use an
install program similar (in some ways) to Netscape's.  Everything they
install goes in one tree, so it isn't a total disaster, but people
upgrading from 4.3.x should beware.  They reported on their support site
that they're considering distributing RPM "wrappers" which will install
Applix from the CD, complete with sane package management.

My recommendations?  It's a good product for those looking for a good
office suite for Linux.  Nothing's changed there, except it's an even
better value than before.  As for upgrading, the Y2K issues are an obvious
sell.  It's also a slam-dunk if you want Data and/or Builder.  But before
you upgrade, check the online site and list archives (at www.applix.com)
for tips and tricks, and consider looking for those RPMs if they're ever
made.

Anyone with other questions, let me know, and I'll answer them as best I
can.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the last part: They made a mistake and shipped me two
copies.  I'm sure you know what that means - giveaway time!  Show up to
the meeting, and be eligible for the drawing.  Remember, it's a $99 value!