Re: procmail

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Cloudmaster wrote:

> Hey, I'm getting to the point where I think I should start using procmail 'n
> stuff to sort my mail out.  Trouble is, I'm too lazy to read the docs on my
> machine (thouroughly), and have no proor experience with it.  Any of you
> folks know offhand of an easy to find, easy to understand intro to procmail
> web site or other resource?

Debian has a package that has example scripts for different things like
deleting duplicate emails, and all sorts of fancy stuff.  While that's
neat and all, I only wanted to have my incoming mail sorted different
files.  Here's a procmail script that I used before I switched from
smail to exim.  Basically, my procmail looks at different header lines,
and if theres a match, it dumped the mail into the folder (file).
/home/blunier/.mail/<filename>

Mark

# Please check if all the paths in PATH are reachable, remove the ones that
# are not.

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=$HOME/.mail	# You'd better make sure it exists
#DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
DEFAULT=/usr/spool/mail/blunier
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

:0				# Directly to blunier
* ^To.*blunier
$DEFAULT

:0				# msgs to root redired to blunier
* ^To.*root@prairienet.org
$DEFAULT

:0				# Anything from fetchmail-friends
* ^Cc.*fetchmail-friends
fetchmail-friends
:0				# Anything from fetchmail-friends
* ^Resent-From.*fetchmail-friends
fetchmail-friends

:0				# Anything from parport
* ^To.*linux-parport
parport
:0				# Anything from parport
* ^Cc.*linux-parport
parport

:0				# Anything from debian-changes
* ^Resent-From.*debian-changes
debian-changes

:0				# Anything from debian-devel
* ^To.*debian-devel
debian-devel
:0				# Anything from debian-devel
* ^Resent-From.*debian-devel
debian-devel

:0				# Anything from debian-doc
* ^To.*debian-doc
debian-doc
:0				# Anything from debian-doc
* ^Resent-From.*debian-doc
debian-doc

:0
* ^To.*debian-testing
debian-testing

:0				# Anything from debian-bugs
* ^To.*debian-bugs-dist
debian-bugs-dist

:0				# Anything from debian-user
* ^To.*debian-user-de
debian-user-de			# will go to $MAILDIR/debian-user-de

:0				# Anything from debian-user
* ^To.*debian-user
debian-user			# will go to $MAILDIR/debian-user
:0				# Anything from debian-user
* ^Cc.*debian-user
debian-user			# will go to $MAILDIR/debian-user

:0				# Anything from lug
* ^From.*lug@acm.uiuc.edu
lug

:0				# Anything from naisso
* ^From.*naisso.*
naisso

:0				# Anything from Marsha Woodbury
* ^To.*marsha-w
marsha-w

:0				# Anything from mgetty
* ^To.*mgetty
mgetty
:0				# Anything from mgetty
* ^Cc.*mgetty
mgetty

:0				# Anything from suck-ml
* ^To.*suck-ml
suck-ml
:0				# Anything from suck-ml
* ^Cc.*suck-ml
suck-ml

:0				# Anything from debian-bugs
* ^Resent-To.*debian-bugs-dist
debian-bugs-dist

# Anything that has not been delivered by now will go to $DEFAULT
# using LOCKFILE=$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT