Re: Stampede (was Re: Suse Disks)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Cloudmaster wrote:
> > > That will leave SuSE, Slackware, and the various minor distros left on
> > > libc5.
> >
> > Well, I gues you could call stampede the glibc slackware... :)
> >
> > --Danny, who knows from slashdot how many luci members feel about stampede
>
> Heh.  Rant mode on!
>
> While I've flamed Stampede before (yes, on Slashdot), it really doesn't
> piss me off as bad as, say, the LSA mess.  I'm actually surprised that
> more people haven't come up with a pgcc-optimized distro, although I was
> expecting more of a "Red Hat for Pentiums" and such.

Linux Mandrake?  That sticks in my mind as pentium-optimized, and it's
redhat based (pretyt close to redhat, IIRC).

> My problems with Stampede arise from a few things:
>
>  - New packaging system.  RPM vs. deb is bad enough.  And SLP's only
> "advantage" is that you can (supposedly) work on SLP packages with normal
> tools without modification.  Considering how simple it is to change RPM
> packages into cpio.gz files (ask Steve for his Perl script to do that),
> that's a red herring IMHO.

I wanna mention here that since stampede started out slackware-based, and
most slackware users hate rpm's ("tgz, or even better, tbz is all the
package management I need"), it's understandable why they didn't use rpm
and instead added a litle bit of install info to a tar bzipped archaive.
Not that alien is in any way difficult to use or obtain.

--Danny, who kicks himself every time he is impressed by how much easier
it is to maintain his new rpm-based, sys-V style linux system than it is
to do the same thing on his slackware box, but still misses
"./configure;make;make install" a little