Re: still more ls questions

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Charles J Menzes wrote:
> 	perfect. thats exactly what i was looking for. hey, i just
> 	had yet *another* discussion the other night with someone
> 	who is swearing the kde desktop is going to change linux
> 	into a possible mainstream product. opinions?

I've been using KDE since Beta1 as my primary window manager (environment,
actually, since you can use whatever WM you want).  I know it was a good
thing when I was frst learning, since it hides a bunch of the stuff that
beginners don't really _need_ to see.  A [computer non-savvy] friend of
mine installed red hat 5.1 a couple of weeksago, and quickly removed it
because "It's ugly" and "I have to be a programmer to use it."  I hink
that having something that would tell how to set up X nicely, and tehn
move striaght into administrating teh box with KDE tools or something
similar would help the cause of moving linux to teh masses out quite a
bit.  I personaly lke KDE quite a bit, but it's still got a bunch o' bugs
that need to be gotten rid of before it's the ultimate be-all tool for
linux newbies.  It's certainly on the right track though.  The whole QT
thing really isn't a concern for the end users, but I do think that was a
minormistake...  It's too bad gnome got started after teh kde train was
rolling pretty good...

BTW, I'm discovering that it can actually be configured quite extensively
if you'll look deeper than teh graphical tools that are provided, those
detailed configuration options aren't documented as well as I'd like
though.  Just a note for thse people that  want absolte control. :)

--Danny, who beleives kde is the way of the future, but doesn't want to
force that on anyone that doesn't want it.