Re: pipin'

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Charles J Menzes wrote:
> > But then how would you grep through a big "ls"ting and still maintain
> > color output?  How would we survive without color ls?  (note, when I do an
> > "ls --color|grep coloredstuff" it returns the colored stuff in color, so
> > it appears that it _is_ sending all of the stdout through the pipe, not
> > somehow detecting if its output is bing piped through anything else or
> > not)
>
> 	yeah, i have a lot of problems with ls --color. it doesnt seem to
> pay any attention to the color directives i set in dircolors, it wigs out
> when i throw it into a pipe and try to cat it into something. kind of a
> bummer. i tried the same thing on a slack box and it works without a
> hitch. i am guessing that it has something to do with the term type, but i
> am just pulling that outta thin air.

Noticing that, and realizing that I was trying that on a slackware box
when I tried it, I fired up an rxvt on my SuSE box (BTW, SuSE kicks ass)
and tried it.  ls alone gives color output.  ls|more gives non-colored
output.  ls --color|more gives colored output.  Which, BTW, is more
explicitly what hapens on the slackware box in a color_xterm.  I guess
whoever said something about piping changing the behavior was on teh right
track.

So, I tried ls|mail sauer@cloudmaster, and it worked alright under xterm
and rxvt - I had to explicitly say ls --color|mail me to get it to send
the screwy chars through the pipe.  So, like just about everyone else has
said by now, it appears your terminal is poop.  Delete windows telnet from
every MS machine you sit down at and install CRT, renaming the executable
to telnet.  Find a password generator after 30 days. :)  Or tell me about
a better, cheaper windows telnet/terminal program...

--danny, who started instaling gnu file utilities for DOS on all windows
	machines he comes in contact with to avoid using "dir."