Re: The Way the Cookies Crumble.

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> That's backwards.  Try "ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies".  (You
> might have to rm ~/.netscape/cookies first.)

A couple-er-so hours later, Jeff Licquia added:
> Also, if you did the deed as root, do an "ls -l /dev/null".  If it
> reports that it's a symbolic link, you'll need to recreate the device.

Thanks.
Wasn't yet experienced with the command, and would've expected
the editors of *Linux Journal* to catch the mistake.  Device intact.

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Mike Packard wrote:
> OK so this is a good way to keep your disk from filling up with
> cookies, but whose disk really fills up with cookies?  How many
> features of cookies are actually foiled by this trick?

Cookies can actually accumulate at an astonishing rate.  Still, I'd
agree that even over a prolonged period they're not going to amount
to any significant disk space.  But that isn't the issue.  I'd prefer
not to have marketroids sticking suction-dart tracking transmitters
onto my car every time I leave the house, and very rarely do cookies
have a different function.
    As to how many tricks of cookies are actually foiled by this
feature, only one more than would be foiled in simply setting your
browser not to accept them.  For sites insisting cookies be accepted
as a condition of access, cookies *are* being accepted--they just
aren't being *returned*.