Re: ViRGE of Catastrophe.

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Tesla Coil wrote:

> Same day, mwb wrote:
> > Many dists used to have the restorefont command.  On one of
> > my systems with a generic card, every time I exited X, the text
> > was messed up.  I ran a script that saved the font, started X,
> > then on exit, it restored the font.
>
> Not sure whether Caldera OpenLinux Base 1.2 has this.

As I remember, it's a part of svgalib.

> Appreciate, but gotta express reserve about both of these approaches,
> as they relieve the symptom and leave the disease untouched.  This is
> just to say I'm bothered not knowing what process results in terminal
> character corruption.  I then question if it results in less immediately
> visible lossage, requiring special provocation, or imposing suboptimal
> performance that goes unnoticed for "situation normal."

I have an S3 VIRGE at home.  I use the S3V X server with XFree86, and I
don't have problems.  I did use the SVGA server with it for a short time
when I was getting it set up, and I did notice that it was a little flaky,
although I didn't notice this particular problem.

I know that the SVGA server tries to support everything it can, but is a
little spotty on cards that have their own server (such as the S3 VIRGE).
Try installing and setting up with the S3V X server and see if that helps.