Re: ViRGE of Catastrophe.

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Cloudmaster wrote:
> perhaps you could try "reset."  That's always worked for me
> when the display goes all screwy. :)  If it works, you could add
> that to the end of one of the scripts that runs when you startx...
> BTW, I'm pretty sure there are more specific command-line
> options to reset...

Before writing, I'd searched man pages for a command of this effect.
Didn't find it.  "No manual entry for reset," though undeniably "reset"
is a valid command.  Looks potent enough to do the job, but untested
on the problem, as I haven't yet exited to a corrupted terminal.  There
oughta be a word for bugs that occur too irregularly to troubleshoot.

Same day, mwb wrote:
> Many dists used to have the restorefont command.  On one of
> my systems with a generic card, every time I exited X, the text
> was messed up.  I ran a script that saved the font, started X,
> then on exit, it restored the font.

Not sure whether Caldera OpenLinux Base 1.2 has this.

Appreciate, but gotta express reserve about both of these approaches,
as they relieve the symptom and leave the disease untouched.  This is
just to say I'm bothered not knowing what process results in terminal
character corruption.  I then question if it results in less immediately
visible lossage, requiring special provocation, or imposing suboptimal
performance that goes unnoticed for "situation normal."