Re: ViRGE of Catastrophe.

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Tesla Coil wrote:
> Just upgraded from Xfree86 3.3.1 to 3.3.2 patch 2--despite this,
> an ongoing problem with the SVGA server in combination with
> an S3 ViRGE/DX card.  After X sessions in excess of 8-bit color,
> it's a toss-up whether terminal mode will be legible upon exit.
> Characters may appear more or less decayed, or replaced by others.
> When this is encountered, each character, however it may be
> corrupted, is identically corrupted in each occurence on the screen.
> "shutdown -r now" may not display as "shutdown -r now," but
> fortunately the system still recognizes the command.

Since it stil recognizes commands, perhaps you could try "reset."  That's
always worked for me when the display goes all screwy. :)  If it works,
you could add that to the end of one of the scripts that runs when you
startx...

BTW, I'm pretty sure there are more specific command-line options to
reset, but all the times I've heard fo this problem (mostly after SVGAlib
problems), a simple reset works.

good luck,
danny, who's trying suse now. :)