Re: Secondary DNS

In your note you said that the secondary server was not getting updates,
by that do you mean that you have been adding new entries to a
/etc/named.data file on the primary server? If that is the case, do you
update the serial number in the SOA record of the zone file? The SOA
record of our primary server looks like this:

;*******************************************************
;  /etc/darwin.named.data
;
;  Zone file for the domain. Host to Address mappings.
;
;*******************************************************
;  Created   08 Jul 1994
;  By        John Keltner
;  Much Modified since then
;  By        Erich Schroeder
;*******************************************************
@       IN      SOA     museum.state.il.us. erich.museum.state.il.us. (
                        1998071601      ;serial number(yyyymmddnn)
                        3600            ;refresh
                        3600            ;retry after 1 hour
                        3600000         ;expire after 1000 hours
                        2592000         ;default ttl
                        )

This is under AIX. When I add a record, I change the serial number, and
then restart named. It then takes a while to get propagated throughout
the world. The nameserver at Texas A&M gets it in an hour or so, UIUC may
take a week.

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html