Quote of the Day

OK, so it came out 4 days ago, but I haven't seen anyone else mention
it yet...  :-)

From http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?/features/980608free.htm

     Jim Allchin, senior vice president of Microsoft's personal business
     and systems group, in Redmond, Wash., says the open source
     development model is missing a vital marketing component.

     "What marketing is supposed to do is take customer input and drive
     it into products. If you just build what engineering says, you may
     not get the right product," Allchin says.

     But proponents say the success of Linux, Apache, Perl and other
     open source software defies such skeptics.

     "On the whole, we've found that not having a phalanx of idiots in
     expensive suits between us and our customers helps us stay closer
     to their real needs. Instead, we get our customer input via the
     Internet and direct peer-to-peer communication of day-to-day bugs,
     problems and opportunities," Raymond [ESR] says.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month