Re: win/mac X server

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> kdanner@eosinc.com said:
> > i have no idea if it is any good or not, but there is a free X server for
> > win32/macOS at http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/download.htm
> > ran across it by chance, thought someone might need it.
>
> Last time I tried it, it *sucked*.  All X windows are in one window,
> it seems to require that you use twm, it's easy to crash, etc.

FWIW, I was able to get another window manager working (fvwm, I
believe).  It really prefers that you use a local window manager, and
only supplies twm, but you can configure it to use a remote window
manager.

Also, it supposedly comes with development libraries, which would allow
you to create a local version of fvwm, etc.  I have no experience with
this.

On the rest, I heartily concur.  Slow, crashes, no integration with the
rest of the Windows desktop, etc.

> In all fairness, I haven't looked at it in the better part of a year.
> It's possible that it's improved.  At the time, they weren't releasing
> source though, so I wouldn't be too hopeful that it has improved.
>
> Unfortunately, all decent Windoze X servers that I am aware of are
> extremely expensive.

There's always VNC. :-)